Wednesday, May 18, 2005

Law of Potential

If personality is an unbroken series of gestures, no amount of practice can ensure the success of either the performance or the reception. One finds success in degress, though, and always relative to the ambition; a certain amount of compromise is inherent.

I would like to claim pure composure, a polished style, charming and convincing in its presentation, but it is time now only to excercise patience and slow ripening. There is charm, after all, in the early murky stages of development, in that curious desire to become interesting.

My potential lies with my blurred sense of limitation. When I can finally see my own bounds, I can find intention, focus on the goal; I can stop trying to account for everything that I might become; I can start to deny influence, in all its various forms. Until then, possibility rules the day, full of hope and burden.

1 Comments:

Blogger fred burgess! said...

In response to this line from The Great Gatsby:

"If personality is an unbroken series of successful gestures, then there was something gorgeous about him, some heightened sensitivity to the promises of life."

10:52 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home